Martin Whitfield MP is urging local filmmakers to enter the UK Parliament’s prestigious Film the House competition 2019 and showcase their work to leading film industry figures.
The annual competition offers the opportunity to put local filmmakers in direct contact with the movers and shakers of the film industry and to have the best of UK talent take front and centre stage.
This year’s contest heralds the addition of the Directors UK award for Best Film Direction for under and over 16s, as well as prizes for Best Film Script and Best Short Film.
Entries will initially be shared with MPs before an expert industry panel of leading figures from across Britain’s creative landscape chooses the shortlist and winners.
Martin Whitfield MP said:
“The Film the House competition is a pioneering opportunity to showcase what the UK has to offer, while raising awareness about the importance of intellectual property (IP) to our creative industries.
“It offers a unique chance for someone to kickstart a career in the film industry and I’m urging budding writers and directors in East Lothian to take advantage of this opportunity and enter the competition.”
Dates for the 2019 competition are:
- 9 September 2019: Competition launch date
- 19 December 2019: Closing date for entries
- 3 February 2020: Shortlist announced
- 3 March 2020: Awards Ceremony, House of Commons, London
The categories for the 2019 competition are:
- Best Film Script (under 16)
- Best Film Script (16 and over)
- Best Film Direction (under 16) NEW FOR 2019
- Best Film Direction (16 and over) NEW FOR 2019
- Best Short Film (under 16)
- Best Short Film (16 and over)
More information on how you can apply for the competition and the criteria for entry can be found at www.filmthehouse.co.uk